Te Kainga Teen Parent Home
Te Kainga is a parenting programme for young mums in a family style residential home. The Auckland-based home provides a safe and nurturing environment for mother and baby. On-site house parents work to support committed mums develop their parenting and life skills.
What does Te Kainga offer?
- A clean, safe and supportive environment
- 24/7 support focused on helping mums develop their parenting skills
- Private bedrooms furnished for mum and baby
- Access to mother and baby health services
- Life skills learning, including basic budgeting and household skills
- Support to maintain whānau contact
- A transition plan for when the time comes to leave the home
Who is Te Kainga for?
Te Kainga is for young mums aged between 13 and 19 and their child or children. Mums can contact us directly or be referred by your family or an agency.
How long would a normal stay at Te Kainga last for?
A stay at Te Kainga will usually last between six and twelve months. Prospective mums can also begin their stay at Te Kainga in the late stages of their pregnancy.
What does a stay at Te Kainga cost?
Staying at Te Kainga is low or no cost depending on the mum's available income. Financial support is also available through Work and Income or Oranga Tamariki.
How do I find out more?
For more information phone 09 573 0954 (freephone 0800 375 210) or email us.
Functional Family Therapy is an evidence-based model